Summer is practically here, so it’s time to start planning your summer adventures! You’ve thrown a dart at the map on the wall, and have decided where to go. Now you need to think about the vehicle that will take you on the adventure, after all, if the car breaks down, all your careful planning can go out the window.
- Have a technician look at your vehicle before any long distance trip:
- MOST IMPORTANT – Change your oil and filter regularly, not just when you’re going through a road trip checklist. It’s a quick, inexpensive process that can literally add years and thousands of miles to the efficient service life of your engine.
- Check tire pressure regularly (preferably before driving, while they’re cold). Go by the manufacturer’s recommended settings in the owner’s manual or door sticker. Have the wheels aligned for better handling, tire wear and safety.
- Check your spare tire and make sure your car jack and all parts are in the vehicle.
- Put together an emergency kit. At the very least you should have:
- bottled water, granola bars or other non-perishable food
- flashlight and batteries (not just your lighter or smartphone app!),
- basic first aid kit (one you put together yourself, or a pre-made kit from the pharmacy)
- Bring a spare set of car keys. Locking the only set of keys in the car can take the fun out of any holiday, fast.
- Be sure you have valid proof of insurance in the car with you. And if your policy doesn’t include roadside assistance, consider adding it through your carrier or through a motor club like AAA.
Now that the not so much fun stuff is taken care of, you can head out onto the open road, knowing you’re ready to face whatever your adventure has to throw your way!
Let Bob Bell Chevrolet of Bel Air help you on your way, book a service appointment today.
Bob Bell Chevrolet of Bel Air
1230 Belair Road
Bel Air, MD 21014